Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 01:12:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        richard@a42.deep-thought.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD TCP stack and RST processing [subj changed]

> >  The main reason I didn't provide version info
> >was that I thought it was an easy enough situation to replicate if it was
> >indeed replicatable.  Unfortunately I know of no systems that are running
> >CURRENT to test upon.
>
>    Thanks for the bug report. In the future, it's better to either file a PR
> via GNATS or send email to freebsd-bugs; you're more likely to get to the
> right people this way. I forwarded your original message to some people
> yesterday who might have some input on this.

I don't get why this is considered a bug.  You do something bizarre, and
you get an undefined result.

The only thing it could "deny service" on is if you let someone
subscribe to a list, and then they ambushed you: a trojan subscription,
so to speak.  This would be come pretty obvious when the mail failed,
and subsequent subscriotions would be blocked.

It's only when you stab the guy calling you in the back that you
can make him have a long timeout, right?  He has to be willing to
call you in the first place...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---