Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:06:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dustin Boontheekul <dboonthe@math.okstate.edu>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <myevmenk@exodus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Bluetooth stuff

Max,

This is probably where I'm going to have to stop for the week to make sure
I get my classwork done, you've been a wonderful guide.  I can't wait to
get started working on this some more.

> hmmm... if your mouse drains batteries so fast for how you long
> can you use it?

Actually, the battery life sucks for a wireless mouse.  I guess both the
RF part and the Bluetooth protocol eat up a lot of power.  It's my
understanding that RF mice tend to have shorter battery life than IR mice
anyway, and that adding the Bluetooth chip must use more.  I can get about
a month out of a set of batteries.  During extra high use this drops as
low as 2 weeks.  I read a review on activewin.com and the editor got a
month out of it (and he's an editor, so I magine he uses his machine a
lot).  The keyboard batteries last quite a bit longer (1.5 months
minimum).  A friend of mine has an IR keyboard and mouse that have had the
same batteries for 6 months, so going bluetooth isn't just more costly up
front, but also in maintanence costs.

> >>ACL data: handle 0x0029 flags 0x02 dlen 14
> >     L2CAP(d): cid 0x40 len 10 [psm 1]
> >         SDP SSA Rsp: tid 0x0 len 0x5
> >           cnt 0x2
> >  len 0x2 frm->len 0x1 n 0x0
> >           cont 00
>
> ... and the mouse returns nothing back to us :(

That sucks.  Well, as long as we can get it working in the end, no big
deal.

> bottom line: baseband + L2CAP works. you can talk to your
> mouse. SDP does not return anything. possible problems:

Good.

> 1) mouse does not fully implement SDP. it is assumed that you have
>     to know "magic" PSM for interrupt and control channel on the mouse.
>
> 2) SDP interoperability problem

Either way at least we know somebody has gotten it working.

> one thing you could try is to ask mouse for the specific service,
> rather then for all services. you can do it by
>
> # sdptool search --bdaddr <BD_ADDR> HID

Bingo.  Nice response from the mouse.

# sdptool search --bdaddr $BT_ADDR HID
Searching for HID on 00:50:F2:7E:D6:A8 ...
Service Name: Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth
Service Description: Five Button Mouse
Service Provider: Microsoft
Service RecHandle: 0x10000
Service Class ID List:
  "" (0x1124)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
    PSM: 17
  "" (0x0011)
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "" (0x1124)
    Version: 0x0100

> well, you have to read Bluetooth spec :) but i can tell you right now
> that in this case it is safe to use 0 for all of them :)

Yup.  I've downloaded it from the bluetooth SIG's website, just haven't
extracted it for a look yet.

Also, my bluetooth enabled phone came in today (Ericsson R520m).  I'm
gonna check out which firmware revision it is and (if needed) send it off
for an update.  Then I can start playing around with a more "conventional"
Bluetooth device to learn the ins and outs better.

Thanks again,

Dustin