Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:46:19 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tomcat for BSD (was: RE: Trying to Create a simple Bean)

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 03:37:27PM -0600, Tim Zingelman wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Drew Lister wrote:
>
> > Two other questions though.  Hopefully these aren't too elementary.
> >
> > 1.  Is there a Tomcat installation for BSD?
>
> /usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat has tomcat 3.1 (which is old)
>
> If you replace the three files I attached to this email in that directory,
> it will install tomcat 3.2.1 which I think is the current release.
>
> If this works well for you, I'll submit a request to get these changes
> committed to the ports tree... at this point no one but me has used them.

I haven't used the files you've attached, but I've had 3.2.1 running
under both the native JDKs (1.1.8 and 1.2.2).

> You will also need to build a mod_jk.o shared library to hook tomcat to
> apache... here's the diff to the makefile included in the apache tarball:
>   jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1-src.tar.gz
>
> Despite the fact that the file was named Makefile.freebsd, I needed to
> make the following changes to make it work with linux-jdk1.3.0 and apache
> 1.3.x from ports.

You also need to patch it to build it with the native JDKs, but the
patches are different (And quite a bit smaller) than what you include
below.  This will need to be need to be sorted out before the port can
be updated.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494