Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:16:49 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/13166: textproc/aspell uses ${OSREL}

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 02:28:51AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> As far as I understand (the commit mails are missing), gcc-2.95 is
> just about to enter 4-current (the old contrib/gcc dir has been
> resurrected but the actual upgrade hasn't been made yet).

Just a thought -- how about slightly altering the USE_NEWGCC macro
as follows:

	.if defined(USE_NEWGCC)
	USE_NEWGCC_OSVERSION?=	400004
	.if ${OSVERSION} < ${USE_NEWGCC_OSVERSION}
	CC=	gcc295
	CXX=	g++295
	BUILD_DEPENDS+= gcc295:${PORTSDIR}/lang/egcs
	.endif
	.endif

For the 99% of ports that have already been changed to use USE_NEWGCC,
nothing needs to happen, but for things like textproc/aspell, we can do:

	USE_NEWGCC=YES
	USE_NEWGCC_OSVERSION=<sys/param.h value after gcc-2.95.1 import>

It gives us a little more flexibility for ports when we see another
case of both the 3.x and 4.x system compilers being inadequate for
compiling a port?

Thoughts?  Shoot me down if it's over-complex/unnecessary.  I can take it :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.