Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:51:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FTP install...

Doug will probably answwer this....

Finally got around to installing a 4.3 gb drive the other day. Installed
win95, (have to for some issues). I made partitions in fdisk as follows:
c: as 1 gig
d: as 1 gig
the rest I left so have bout 2.1 gb left for fbsd.

Installed 95 on c got it working. I booted a 2.1.7 install disk and used
the last 2.1 gb for bsd, auto partitioned and want to do a local ftp
install from a 486 that Ive been using for over a year as a dedicated bsd
machine. I mounted the install cd under:
/var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.7-RELEASE
then supplied the pertenent info for setting up IP, gateway, netmask etc.
in the new install. It then asks where you want to ftp install from, I
choose select my own site URL it brings me to the screen:

ftp://192.168.0.2/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.7-RELEASE

192.168.0.2 being the ip of the 486. But it gives  me the error of not
being able to find the dir specifed. I also used the machine name but the
486 just dials out to resolve the host name, which of course doenst
exist so it error out there too.

I have setup in options the anonymous user instead of ftp user with an
email password.

In windows I can ftp and telnet to the 486, and I'm using the 486 as a
gateway so I know the machines are talking to each other as I can use
netscrape to get out via the 486.

Any other issues I can look at here? can I use an IP addr at the ftp://
dialog box? Have I go the CD mounted corectly? Though one thing that did
get done was the bootmgr got installed even though bsd isnt.

thanks for any info as now with all this hdisk realestate I can try
things like cvsup and other little goodies.

Keith
kwoody@citytel.net