Date:      17 Apr 2001 15:03:52 -0400
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Background Fsck

Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com> writes:
>	2) They start a second background fsck running at the same time as the
>	   first.
>
>This would be indeterminate in the same way as running two foreground
>fsck's on the same filesystem would be indeterminate. This failure
>senario has not been considered problematic in the past, so is not
>guarded against.
>Only (2) seems to be a problem, and it has not proven to be an issue in
>years past. If it is perceived to be a bigger problem now, a fix could be
>found. A general solution would be to flock the underlying special device
>as this would work for both foreground and background fsck. At the moment,
>the /dev filesystem cannot handle advisory file locks, so some serious
>work would be needed there first.

        I personally don't like leaving uzi's around with the trigger-lock
removed.  Admittedly, no one here would pick it up - or at least they
wouldn't admit to it later... ;-)

        I think we should take a shot at adding the lock code that someone
else apparently did a while back and close this hole.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com