Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:44:51 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crypt function - solution!

Hi guys,

Here followes how the problem was solved. Before the system upgrade to
4.5, there was no separate /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2 file, it was symlinked
to libdescrypt.so.2, and making the things the same way solved it! Playing
with /etc/auth.conf didn't help.

To be more precise, symlinking libcrypt.so.2 on a running system cannot be
done, so what I did was copying /usr/lib/libedscrypt.so.2 to a temporary
directory and running command

install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg  libcrypt.so.2 /usr/lib

And beside this, the following symlinks were needed:
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a -> libdescrypt.a
/usr/lib/libcrypt.so -> libdescrypt.so

They could be done by the ordinary way.

If anybody have comments on the subject it's interesting to hear them, and
my big thanks to all who helped solving this issue.

Alexander Varshavchick, Metrocom Joint Stock Company
Phone: (812)118-3322, 118-3115(fax)