Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:33:29 -0400
From:      Jason Stewart <jstewart@rtl.org>
To:        Edward Hendrie <edwardmh@pwaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Devil Mascot

On 13/06/04 17:02 -0700, Edward Hendrie wrote:
>     Why do you have a Devil for a trademark mascot?  From a marketing
> perspective, you are shooting yourselves in the foot.  There are many people
> of various religious backgrounds who will be dissuaded from trying FreeBSD
> because they have religious objections to a product that is promoted by a
> devil.

What a ridiculous statement. Tell me, Edward, who ever made you the
mouthpiece for 'many people of various religious backgrounds'?

The FreeBSD Daemon is a mascot, and that's all ; If FreeBSD is
promoted by a devil, then Linux is promoted by a penguin.

>     You may think that is a small issue, but when you are trying to create
> market awareness you need a mascot that evokes simplicity and goodwill, not
> one that evokes evil and deception.

I suppose that the devil influenced the thousands of sysadmins who run
large network installations to go over to the dark side and install
FreeBSD.

>     Look at how MSN is marketing its ISP.  They use characters dressed in
> harmless butterfly costumes.  Linux, has done the same with its pudgy cute
> penguin.  You might want to rethink your mascot.

I know that you are trolling, but I'm bored. If the butter fly costume
is sucjh a great thing, then why don't you leave here and go buy one.
Wear it to church and family reunions.