Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:12:57 -0600
From:      awd@ddg.com (Andrew W. Donoho)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        awd@ddg.com
Subject:   Installing the new SNAP release from Boot Floppies

Folks,

        Now that we all have determined that a 3c509 card must have the
"link2" option to work, I have run into another problem. Because the 2.0
release and the previous SNAP were so flaky on my hardware, I chose to wait
until the next SNAP before trying again. So I tried to do a from scratch
install of the new SNAP. Here is what I've gone through.

1. Download the two floppy images: boot.flp and cpio.flp.
2. Format new floppies labeled boot and cpio.
3. Use rawrite to write the images.
4. Boot off of the boot floppy.
5. Watch machine hang. No screen messages, no nuttin'.

Assume the downloaded images are bad.
Repeat the same process as above including step 5.

Try again with this modified process.
Modify step 1.
1a. Download the gzip images. Note: it would be better for DOS if these
were named boot.gz and cpio.gz rather than boot.flp.gz and cpio.flp.gz.
1b. Use gunzip.exe to test the images using the "-t" option.
1c. Use gunzip.exe to unzip the images into boot.g and cpio.g. Note the odd
choice of extension. This is gunzip's default behavior.

Repeat steps 2 through 5.

Well, maybe my floppies are bad.

1. Do a makeflp from the 2.0 release CD.
2. Watch the machine boot just fine from these images using the same media
as above.

I'm so confused... ;-)

Andrew Donoho
awd@ddg.com