Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:49:35 -0500
From:      Jeff Blaufuss <Jeff_Blaufuss@ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   odd sound problems

Ever since I updated to 4.3-stable (about two days ago) I have been
having a really stange problem with my sound card (a soundblaster 16
pci).  Sometimes I boot up and it works fine, sound comes out,
everything is peachy.  Other times I boot up, and I can't get sound out
of the speaker no matter what I try to do.  Everything seems fine with
the card as far as FreeBSD is concerned, but no sound will come out.  I
have to reboot a few times until I get lucky and sound works.  Windows
has no problem with the card.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Is there a way to fix it?

My system info:
A Dell Optiplex GX300
A Soundblaster 16-PCI
FreeBSD 4.3 stable (cvsup'd about a day after the release announcment)
kernel options used to enable the card:

options	PNPBIOS
device	pcm