Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:46:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Rutger Bevaart" <rutger.bevaart@illian.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with amr and 5.4-PRERELEASE

can't you get that information by using the combination of compat4x
package, the amrcontrol tool from E Moore? (see
http://people.freebsd.org/~emoore/MegaRAID_SCSI/). i've actually succeeded
in rebuilding a RAID on a Dell PE2850 using the MEGAMGR application which
provides the same GUI as the BIOS interface does. get the asci character
set of your terminal right (search google) and you can manage.

there seems to be no sourcecode available of the amrcontrol tool that
allows a clean build unfortunately.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:12:49AM +0100, Constant, Benjamin wrote:

> Fyi,
>
> The tool is working fine but doesn't show up rebuild state (just removed a
> drive and card bios is showing up rebuild on hotspare).
> I think it's coming from the driver as it doesn't say that logical
device is
> in rebuild state.
>
> root@liemaster01:~: dmesg | grep amrd0
> amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
> amrd0: 35073MB (71829504 sectors) RAID 1 (degraded)
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/amrd0s1a
>
> root@liemaster01:~: ./amrstat -l0
> Drive 0:    34.25 GB, RAID1 <write-through,no-read-ahead,no-adaptative-io>
> degraded

You're right. The driver doesn't report the rebuild state.

> By the way, this tool seems promising, thanks for the effort!

Coupled with a simple perl script which periodically calls amrstat
on all volumes, it has been proved very useful by the past.

However, under heavy I/O load, the amr driver returns meaningful
information. This is the reason why amrstat.c make a few attempts.
Since this is only to send a mail for an alert, We ignore these
"false positive".

Pierre David