Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:32:08 -0700
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>, FreeBSD Stable List <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recommended compilation optimizations

Dave Boers wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 11:36:30AM +0200, Dan Larsson wrote:
> > When doing a buildworld or buildkernel, what are the optimal compilation
> > flags I can set for a system running Pentium Pro?
>
> -O -pipe
>
> AFAIK that's the only optimization that is more or less guaranteed to work.

I've used these in make.conf for a while with no problems, but your mileage
may vary:

CFLAGS=-O3 -pipe -funroll-loops -march=pentiumprp
COPTFLAGS=-O3 -pipe -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin
-march=pentiumpro
CXXFLAGS+= -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>                 Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/                University of Southern California