Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:50:14 -0500
From:      "Bosko Milekic" <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TEST REQUEST: Mutex Interface Changes+Cleanup

Greetings residents of the Alpha Quadrant (feel the Trekkie-ism kick
in) :-)

    I do not have an Alpha, so please feel free to test the following
code:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~bmilekic/code/mutex_cleanup-7.1.diff

    This runs fine on the i386, but I would like to know how it goes
on the Alpha. I am planning to commit this within the next few days,
unless any (final) objections arise, or unless your testing fails. So
I'm depending on you folks to confirm how it works on the Alpha.
You'll note that this patch is a significant change to the mutex lock
interface, and places some of the lock acquire/release code back
inline... which likely means less overhead for Alphas -- or so I
hear -- apparently, function calls on Alphas can be expensive.

    I'm also curious as to why this is so (why the function calls on
alphas are significantly expensive). So please feel free to enlighten
me. :-)

    One last thing, I am _not_ subscribed to this list, so please
leave me in the CC. Thanks!

Regards,
Bosko.