Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:25:51 -0400
From:      Jason Breitman <jbreitman@zxcvm.com>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Differences in reporting by du df and usedbydataset

I have not received a reply to my question and wanted to post again so =
that the group could see the question again.

Jason Breitman
jbreitman@zxcvm.com

On Mar 26, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Jason Breitman <jbreitman@zxcvm.com> =
wrote:

The different disk usage measurements are frequently discussed and most =
of the time snapshots are the source of confusion.
I use refquota to avoid this confusion for user based file systems, but =
can not explain the below reports and hope you can help.

Why is there an ~18 GB difference between du and df / usedbydataset?
I included additional information so that you can see that used =3D =
usedbysnapshots + usedbydataset and that there are no reservations.

# du -sh /tank/users/auser
5.1G	/tank/users/auser

# df -h /tank/users/auser
Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
tank/users/auser     35G     23G     11G    66%    /tank/users/auser  =20=

# zfs get usedbydataset tank/users/auser
NAME               PROPERTY       VALUE   SOURCE
tank/users/auser  usedbydataset  23.2G   -

# zfs get used,usedbysnapshots,usedbydataset tank/users/auser
NAME               PROPERTY         VALUE     SOURCE
tank/users/auser  used             63.9G     -
tank/users/auser  usedbysnapshots  40.7G     -
tank/users/auser  usedbydataset    23.2G     -

# zfs get refreservation,usedbyrefreservation tank/users/auser
NAME               PROPERTY              VALUE          SOURCE
tank/users/auser  refreservation        none           default
tank/users/auser  usedbyrefreservation  0=20

OS: Freebsd 9.1

# zpool upgrade -v
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

The following versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS version
 2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
 3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
 4   zpool history
 5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
 6   bootfs pool property
 7   Separate intent log devices
 8   Delegated administration
 9   refquota and refreservation properties
 10  Cache devices
 11  Improved scrub performance
 12  Snapshot properties
 13  snapused property
 14  passthrough-x aclinherit
 15  user/group space accounting
 16  stmf property support
 17  Triple-parity RAID-Z
 18  Snapshot user holds
 19  Log device removal
 20  Compression using zle (zero-length encoding)
 21  Deduplication
 22  Received properties
 23  Slim ZIL
 24  System attributes
 25  Improved scrub stats
 26  Improved snapshot deletion performance
 27  Improved snapshot creation performance
 28  Multiple vdev replacements

For more information on a particular version, including supported =
releases,
see the ZFS Administration Guide.

# zfs upgrade -v
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
 1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
 2   Enhanced directory entries
 3   Case insensitive and filesystem user identifier (FUID)
 4   userquota, groupquota properties
 5   System attributes