Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 07:40:22 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

> > Your 'global' lock does *NOTHING* (!!!!!!!!!) to make the tree any more
> > buildable
>
> No.  But it makes it obvious that it was *you* that did it.

No more so than the current behavior.  It is known *now* who breaks the
tree, since breaking the tree is related to the commit, not the lock.

> And if you do it consistently, you *should* lose your priviledges that
> allow you to do it.

Nobody is willing to brandish the 'lose your priviledges' stick. ;(

> > Sometimes your absolute silliness appears to be a lack of intelligence
> > at times.
>
> I think you don't understand the concept of environmental enforcement
> of desirable behaviour.  FreeBSD is free to choose whatever environment
> it wants, within the scope of physical laws.  Including an environment
> that punishes tree breakage, if it's smart enough to do so.

Sure I do, but a feedback loop is related to the feedback, and if you
add steps in the process that are unrelated to the feedback loop, you're
not doing anything to change the feedback, just adding more noise to the
system.

Aka. Sticking llamas in the office doesn't make the programmer want to
do good commits, but telling them to do so 'or else' (with a backed up
'or else') does.

FreeBSD's problem is that everyone has 'broken' the tree enough times
that no-one is willing to brandish the 'big stick' to whack people for
making bad commits.  If you've got no negative feedback, then you've got
no reason to test changes.

Nate