Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:22:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copyright notices for ports/packages

> (1) Require the ports to put them in a fixed location, for example,
>     ${PREFIX}/share/${PKGNAME}/Copyright.  This can be done by using a
>     post-install target.

Counter-proposal:

Each port must register its copyright notices into:
	${PREFIX}/share/copyrights/${PKGNAME}

Registry of a copyright notice may be either:
	1. A special port-specific copyright unique from any available
	   "boilerplate" copyright, such as the GPL.

	2. A link to a boilerplate copyright in ${PREFIX}/share/copyrights
	   (e.g. "${PREFIX}/share/copyrights/${PKGNAME}/license -> ../GPL").

	   If the target of a link does not exist, the port install target
	   should copy one from a known location in the ports tree into
	   place first.  Thus only one copy of a boilerplate license
	   is retained.

Packages, however, still remain a whole 'nother ball-o-wax.  For one
thing, we always have to have a copyright available for a package.  We
can't just rely on them, we need some way of making sure that those
copyrights are *there* after the package is installed or we're
technically in violation of lots of stuff.

For that I suggest a slightly different spin on the approach taken.
Add a special flag to pkg_create for indicating the copyright file,
but have a special syntax for it like this:

	pkg_create ... -C @<template>|filename

Where @<template> is a reference to something in
${PREFIX}/share/copyrights directly (e.g. "GPL" or "BSD") and filename
is a package-local copyright of some sort, for which handling is
pretty straight-forward.  If the @<template> form is seen, however,
two things actually happen: First, a @pkgdep is automatically inserted
into the packing list referencing our special "copyrights package"
which we'll have to make sure to always distribute with every package
collection (wildcard CATEGORIES field), then a @exec and @unexec pair
are automatically added to create/delete the copyright link.

That'd pretty much do it.  We just need to create a little
"copyrights" port/package that installs all the stock copyrights into
${PREFIX}/share/copyrights and we can move from there.

					Jordan