Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 21:23:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        cuk@cuk.nu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability

Marko Cuk writes:

> Can anyone explain me, why is FreeBSD known as powerful sistem
> with industrial strenghth and rock stability, but I manage to
> crash it several times.

The "known as" part is simple: focused marketing

OK, maybe not that simple. People leave an OS that is unstable
for _them_ in favor of another. Even if that other OS is often
less stable, it will most likely work. What are the chances of
having both OSes be unstable, hmmm? So the new OS looks good.
Less popular OSes tend to benefit from this affect, because
most of their users jumped ship from somewhere else. The new
OS couldn't possibly be worse than the one that was left.

As FreeBSD gets more popular, it will have more users that are
not desperate to replace an existing unstable OS. Some portion
of these users will find FreeBSD to be unstable. Maybe they will
switch to OpenBSD, Debian, or Solaris -- which will then be
reported as being more stable. (for RZ1000 owners: Debian)

So, feel free to pick a new OS and tell everyone it is stable.