Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:19:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Subject:   connecting NT and FBSD via tcp/ip over ethernet

Hi,

I'm trying to connect an NT Workstation 4 Service Pack 3 pentium II
to a FreeBSD 2.1 running on a Pentium, over BNC ethernet, using
NE2000 compatable Kingston KT20 cards.

I don't really mind what protocols I get going, but have a
preference for tcp/ip to start with - I understand the protocols and
it will allow me to let the FBSD box be a router to the Internet
via my ppp dial in from there.

But I cannot get it going. The symptom is that, having configured it
all up, when I

  ping the NT machine from FBSD,
    arp -r on NT shows the correct ethernet address of FBSD
    arp -r on FBSD shows incomplete instead of ethernet address of NT
  and the ping itself reports 'sendto: Host is down'

  ping the FBSD machine from NT and it makes no difference to
   arp tables on either machine, the ping simply reports
   'request times out'.

some things about the setup:

  I'm using host tables on both machines, no DNS as yet

  on FBSD, the ifconfig command is
   ifconfig ed0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 255.255.255.0,
   giving
  ed0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

  I'm using the private net number 192.168.0

  on NT I only have the 'tcp/ip protocol' configured

  on FBSD netstat -r shows

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
localhost        localhost          UH          1       23       lo0
158.152.1.222    muswell            UH          1        0      tun0
muswell          localhost          UGHS        1        0       lo0
192.168          link#1             UC          1        0
nt.home          link#1             UHRLW       0        8       ed0     14

 where nt.home is the nt machine

on someone's  reccomendation I've tried it with the ethernet
board configured to both plug-and-play and NOT configured to PnP
on the FBSD box

the boards pass the receive/send hardware tests, and the appearance
of the FBSD machine's address in the NT's arp table, lead me to
believe the hardware and cabling are working.

I've looked through the mail archives and it's obvious that some
people have got this going, but not me!!!

tcpdump can't run (yet) as /dev/bpf is not configured on FBSD,
I presume that I need to remake the kernel, so will try doing this
and looking at the packets on the net,

but meanwhile I wondered if anyone had any suggestions - does this
look like hardware (I'm not averse to buying a couple of other
cards - they are cheaper than the time I'm spending on this!!!!!),
or software or....

many thanks in advance

ruth

Ruth Moulton            ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Consultant

65 Tetherdown,
London N.10 1NH, UK     Tel:+44 181 883 5823