Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:14:31 -0400
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rodrigc@freebsd.org
Subject:   [PROPOSAL]: remove devel/apr-svn in favor of devel/apr

Hi All,

I discussed this briefly with pav@, and flz@ on irc already.  I've CC'ed
rodrigc@ (maintainer) here.

I would like to deprecate/remove devel/apr-svn.  The reason for this
port as far as I knew/know was to force disabling threads in APR for use
in subversion.  Now that 5.x is EOL in ports, we don't need this.

The only left over is that ports will need to set WITH_APR_UTIL_BDB=yes
(only if they want the result to be the same).  Personally, I think far
more people use fsfs for subversion than do bdb.

At the very least, this will fix itectu@'s commit to mark
devel/p5-subversion broken today.

It should also help with maintenance, and library version bumps which If
I had to guess with my Apache hat on, will be more frequent as time goes on.

I'll volunteer to send the patch for the ~70 ports that
Tools/scripts/bump_version.pl says depends on devel/apr-svn.

It would probably be good to request a cluster-exp run with it before
comitting though.

If you don't think this is a good idea, speak up and why.

Otherwise, I'll start work on this next week.