Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:17:23 -0800
From:      "Cybertime Hostmaster" <hostmaster@cybertime.net>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD diskless embedded 'where to start'

> >m0n0BSD is another good choice from what I have seen.
>
> FreeBSD vs Linux decision made prior to my hire...

m0n0BSD is a FreeBSD child, so it fits within that requirement.

Personally there are many reasons I like FreeBSD over LINUX, some of which
are practical ones.  But here is something to keep in mind if you are more
comfortable with LINUX: FreeBSD has LINUX compatibity support.

So with the added space of modern silicon disks you might be able to
install the required FreeBSD, as well as LINUX compatibility to support
LINUX based tools that you prefer.

A couple other things to think about with m0n0BSD.  Like the link provided
by Richard for Pico shows, m0n0 is built on a more modern kernel.  His
link references the 4.3 for Pico, and m0n0 presently uses the 4.9.  The
original Pico and some samples I have seen date back to the 2.x era
Kernel.

Another guy out there has done some work in the same direction you are now
heading.  Start with PicoBSD, but do something more modern.  His pages
also discuss some 5.x specific issues, so if you need to step up to the
most modern FreeBSD kernel to support something, that may be the place to
look.

http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

--Eric