Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:07:12 -0400
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        Christian.Gusenbauer@utimaco.co.at
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD and skip packets

You need to use the tunnel capabilities in SKIP.  I am connecting
two RFC1918 networks via two FreeBSD 2.1.7 firewalls running SKIP
right now and I am installing a third RFC1918 network today.

skiphost -i tun0 -a 192.168.1.0 -M 255.255.255.0 -A tunnel_endpoint_address

Plus the other encryption, secrets, etc, arguments to skiphost.

IP forwarding is enabled on the firewalls but forwarding is limited
with ipfw filters.  The border routers also block all access to
the internal RFC1918 networks.

The skiphost command above says to send all packets for 192.168.1.0/24
to the tunnel_endpoint_address.  The sending SKIP encrypts the
packet, attaches a SKIP header to it, and then attaches an IP header
with the tunnel_endpoint_address as the destination.

The receiving SKIP authenticates, decrypts, and passes the packet
addressed to 192.9.168.X to the IP layer.  IP happily routes the
packet to the proper interface for the 192.9.168.0/24 network, in
my case an Ethernet.

SKIP has what I consider a bug in that it sends packets through
the tunnel with the original RFC1918 source address in the IP
header.  I changed that to use the interface address the packet is
being sent from for the source address.

Does anyone have Sun SKIP working on 2.2?

John Capo
IRBS Engineering