Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:43:43 -0800
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error upgrading Chromium

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 08:30 -0800, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> I worked around this by reconfiguring the port so that it doesn't use
>> pulseadio, recompiled, and it finished OK.
>
> IIUC Google doesn't like to add pulseaudio and/or jackd support to their
> software. Because you need to be subscribed to Jack devel mailing list
> to read the archive, I copied an Email from another person who also is
> subscribed to this list.
>
> "As a follow up on the original topic the Chromium developers have already
> implemented CRAS.
>
> Their main reason is that they are seeking to minimise energy usage in the
> OS and not latency or audio routing issues as described in the webpage.
>
> Apparently even though Pulseaudio is fine for Palm's/HP's webOS it is not
> good enough for ChromeOS.
>
> I have yet to get to the bottom of how badly they have screwed up JACK
> integration but it is highly likely that ChromeBooks will not be able to
> integrate into a netjack system.
>
> So, I guess we can expect a new round of pissed off audio users
> complaining about the lack of JACK integration with ChromeOS in the coming
> years.
>
> Probably the easiest answer will be for them to stick within their Chrome
> eco system in much the same way that Android users have to now."
> - http://lists.jackaudio.org/private.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org/2013-January/010592.html

Good to know!

Since ATM I'm only using Chromium on a netbook (Asus Aspire One -
about 3 years old), and it doesn't have much of an audio system, I'm
not too worked up about it, but I've got a new Dell laptop coming, and
I suppose I'll just have to use one of the other web browsers for
that.

Thanks,

Kurt