Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 2008 01:32:14 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to troubleshoot wireless problem?

My FreeBSD is able to connect to WiFi WEP network 95% of time.
But 5% of time either ifconfig shown "not associated" status or dhclient
fails to get IP address or name resolution isn't functioning
after DHCP exchange is complete. Signal strength is -80:-95.
After a while I am able to connect again.
This happens with both ath0 and ral0 devices.

In the meantime Linux box sitting next to FreeBSD box has
no problem connecting to the same WiFi network  at all times.

This makes me think that something in FreeBSD isn't working right.

How can I troubleshoot this problem?
How stable is support for wireless networking in FreeBSD?

I use this command line:
ifconfig wepmode on ssid my-ssid weptxkey 1 wepkey 0xMYKEY dhcp
on 7.1-PRERELEASE

Yuri