Date:      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:35:53 +0100
From:      Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@solarflare.com>
To:        Vlad Galu <dudu@dudu.ro>
Cc:        Takuya ASADA <syuu@dokukino.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding Flow Director sysctls to ixgbe(4)

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 10:55 +0200, Vlad Galu wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Takuya ASADA wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Linux also has a generic interface to RX filtering and hashing
> >> (ethtool_rxnfc) which ixgbe supports; wouldn't it be better for FreeBSD
> >> to support something like that?
> >>
> >> Ben.
> >
> > Linux implement it on ethtool command, what should we do?
> > Maybe a new option for ifconfig, or provide new command for it?
>
> I for one would love to see this functionality built into ifconfig.
> Linux always seems to have one tool too many. There's ifconfig,
> iproute2, route, mii-tool and ethtool.

The current tools are iproute2 (replacing ifconfig and route) and
ethtool.  mii-tool might still be useful for debugging a 10M or 100M
driver, but ethtool can display anything an administrator would be
interested in.

Now you could quite reasonably say that the improvements made in
iproute2 ought to have been done without creating a new command.  But it
is not true that all these different commands are required.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.