Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:16:38 -0500
From:      "Branch, Derek K [IT/0216]" <derek.k.branch@pharmacia.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7 installation woes

After much ado, I was able to create a set of CDs for FreeBSD 4.7.
When the machine boots up from the CD, it goes straight to the
sysinstall screen, bypassing the kernel configuration options.
At sysinstall, none of the keyboard keys are recognized, so I can't
do anything except to turn the machine off.

Here is some system info; maybe it will help to troubleshoot:

HP 9694C with Athlon 800 MHz processor
Asus K7M motherboard
Phoenix Bios 4.0 release 6.0G
nVidia TNT2 video card (2X AGP)
384 Mb SDRAM
HP keyboard (recognized as standard 102 key by diagnostics)
Microsoft mouse (though it's recognized as a PS/2 mouse by diagnostics)
40 Gb Maxtor IDE disk, partitioned as 30Gb for Windows (XP home), 5Gb
(fat 32; intended as the partition/slice for FreeBSD), and 4Gb
(fat 32; future TBD).  This partitioning was done with Bootit NG and
all 3 partitions are primary.  Bootit NG installs a boot manager;
could this be the source of the problems.  I intended to deinstall it;
this is a shareware version that I only wanted for this particular
operation, but I can't seem to figure out how to deinstall it.
Several other expansion cards, but I don't see how they would come into
play.

If anybody could offer some suggestions, I would be very grateful.  I
really don't know what to do at this point.

Thank you!
Derek Branch