Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:27:47 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        E-HACK <epicurus@deathsdoor.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeBSD

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, E-HACK wrote:

> I need some help, I run windows3.11 on my(parents) computer right now, if I
> install freeBSD, will I still be able to use windows? If I can't, I'll have
> to wait until I get my own computer(hopefully in the next six months) the
> biggest reason that I'm getting freeBSD is so that I can learn more about
> UNIX(like) systems, I plan to work in the feild of computers when I'm older,
> and hopefully run an ISP, so I felt that freeBSD would be the logical place
> to at least start. Thank you, any info would be very appreciated.
> E-HACK

Well, you can run FreeBSD with other OS's from the same disk using a boot
manager. You do need free (unpartitioned) space on the hard disk, and
preferably have about 20MB of it in the first half-gig of the disk (if
it's an IDE or EIDE disk). If your whole disk is dedicated to WFWG, you
may use a utility called fips that comes with FreeBSD to free up some
space (though I prefer PartitionMagic, but that's commercial and costs ~$50).

You may want to read the chapter on installation in the freebsd handbook,
as well as the multi-os tutorial (both are under
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html).

>   _______       _      _         ____         _________    _    __
>  | \____/      | |    | |       / /\ \       / ________\  | |  / /
>
>                      epicurus@deathsdoor.com