Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 2002 01:39:21 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Novice question about testing sound cards

In message <3DC5F8FE.5070106@cream.org>, you wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> Ok, so question:  What's the simplest and easiest way to simply check
>> to see if a given sound card is working or not?
>>
>> I gather that it is _not_ as simple as just cat'ing some .mp3 file to
>> one of the /dev/dsp* device files, correct?
>
>Nope. The DSP devices don't understand mp3, you need an mp3 decoder to
>do that but there are command-line (non-X) tools that play mp3s - check
>out audio/mpg123 (or something like that).
>
>Also, try doing 'cat /dev/sndstat' to make sure that pcm really does
>understand your card.

OK, did that, and I get:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed Devices:
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.13> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:5 bufsz 4096d (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

Does that all seem OK?

>I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that you can dump audio
>file in the 'au' format directly to devices. A test au format file can
>be found on http://www.cti.ecp.fr/documents/a_sound.au (This was linked
>to from http://www.cti.ecp.fr/documents/tests/au.html which you might
>also find useful).

OK, I'm willing to give that a try, but what device should I can the .au
file to?  Do I cat to /dev/dsp0 ?

>You also might want to check that your speakers actually work by
>connecting them up to your hi-fi or something.

I'm sure that they work.  They were working not that long ago, and have
just been sitting here on a shelf next to my desk since then.

The only thing that has changed is that they have aquired more dust in
the interval since they were last used.