Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 05:25:19 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm2@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Starting up to an X login -- XDM ???

Hi everyone,

I've asked this same question, for the most part, and I was referred to the
same reference and it still does not work the way I want or think it should.
When I start xdm, an xterm (not KDE) login comes up and throws me into the
following loop:

1. fbsd login (text based as normal)
2. xterm login
3. kde starts automatically
4. logout of kde
5. xterm login screen appears
6. login again
7. goto step 5

I'm still resigned to use startx to get into kde, but I too would like an
automated process.  3 years ago and 2 hard drives, I was given a script by
one of the people on this mailing list which worked wonderfully.  Now it
seems no one knows about this and just tells me to use the xdm boot up method
but to replace xdm with kdm.  That only throws errors.

The script was called by one of the startup files, "rc.conf" I think.  It was
only 4 or 5 lines long and one of the lines paused the script for 5 or 10
seconds to allow something else to happen before starting kde and its login
screen.  I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, but once you have a
script that works, I suppose one tends to take it for granted.

Mark