Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 2016 09:00:56 -0553.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit linux binary support

On 01/14/16 08:27, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 1:49 AM, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com> writes:

>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Why not use Linux in the first place? Docker is very similar to jails
>>> so why not take advantage of native FreeBSD Jails?
>>>
>>> It just seems like a big overhead and complication instead of using
>>> Linux directly if you really want 64 bit Docker environment.
>> Could you clarify your response?  Are you saying to use Linux instead of
>> FreeBSD to host docker images or to run a VM or something else?
>>
> My response is pretty clear: Docker is pretty much like FreeBSD Jails
> so why not use FBSD Jails (e.g. with EzJail) in the first place
> instead of going through the trouble of getting a Linux-like jail
> system to run on FreeBSD. And if you want/need Docker so bad then it
> would probably be better to run on Linux to begin with.
>
> Best,
> Alejandro Imass

Hmmmm .... It's not so clear to me, but that might be a deficiency @ my
end :-/. I would like to run 64-bit binaries compiled on/for linux boxen
(specifically CentOS/RHEL 6) on my FreeBSD boxen, currently 3 in number,
all various AMD64 CPUs, all running 9.3R. My question only involved
docker to the extent that the docker wiki page alludes to apparently
newly available (as of last summer) 64-bit linux binary support, which
is what I am really interested in.

I *AM* (separately) interested in docker, for various reasons.
Specifically, I would want to use it as a lightweight VM system, which I
*think* works under Linux. I.e. you can run a container of a non-native
OS if it is CPU compatible w/ the host CPU. As I understand things, that
is not feasible w/ jails, although I have found some URL's which claim
otherwise. Clarification on that point would be welcome as well. I have
asked before & been told it was *NOT* feasible, but maybe things have
changed or I am missing something. TIA & have a good one.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.