Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:30:36 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@ALCATEL.COM.AU>
To:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reading the kernel sources

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:09:29 -0500 (EST), Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
>I find myself in a contract where I sit for eight hours a day and wait
>for something to break.  It pays obscenely well, so I'm putting up
>with the tedium.

How does one go about getting such contracts?

>So, if I was to sit down and start reading /usr/src/sys, where's the
>logical place to start?

In general, a good place to start is looking though the open PRs: pick
one that looks interesting and either verify the enclosed fix or
write one yourself.  (This works best if you have a friendly committer
who will commit the fixes for you).

Given that -current is about a day away from a feature feeze, trying
to break -current would also be useful (though this seems to be overly
easy at present).  Even more so if you can work out why it broke and
how to fix it.

Within -current, the major rough edges appear to be:
- IPv6 (KAME): Testing would be much appreciated by
  Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
- Soren's new ATA driver needs some bugs ironed out - it still has a
  tendency to get the system into a needs-a-power-cycle-to-fix state
  at times.
- There is an interaction between Vinum RAID5 and softupdates that
  (AFAIK) hasn't been tracked down.

Peter