Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:31:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <victor@customdynamic.net>
Subject:   Re: kernel: arp messages

Dan O'Connor <dan@mostgraveconcern.com> types:
> > Can anyone explain why I keep getting messages in /var/log/messages
> like
> > this:
> > Aug  4 06:10:28 p2 /kernel: arp: 192.168.1.1 is on fxp0 but got reply
> from
> > 00:04:28:96:44:00 on fxp1
> This is leaking in from your Cable/DSL connection. Someone else on your
> side of the ISP's router is using the same local network addressing, but
> they don't have their gateway configured properly (most likely a Windows
> box).

I think you're assuming things about his network topology that may not
be true. The basic explanation is right, though - you've got two boxes
trying to use that IP address on different networks.

> The messages won't affect your network, but if you don't want to see
> them, change your network addresses to something a little less common,
> such as "192.168.53.x"...

If it's actually coming from outside your local network, your should
configure your firewall to throw them away. Anything coming from your
outside world claiming to be from the local network, or one of the
various reserved networks should be thrown away.

	<mike