Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 13:28:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange things..

On Mon, 5 May 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > I have a Pentium 90 and a GUS MAX, running FreeBSD 2.2.1. I found a
> > program called splay, for play WAVE and MPEG files (mp1 mp2 mp3). I
> > belive it was written for Linux, but I managed to compile it with just a
> > small change (changed #include <sys/soundcard.h> to machine/soundcard.h).
> > Seem to work ok, but sound is awful, it cracks and pops. On the console I
> > see a lot of messages coming out. They say: isa_dmastart: channel 1 busy
>
> hmm... does other programs that play audio work fine??
Hmm.. haven´t tried much other programs. But, when I use splay to play
WAVE-files it sounds better, but still not good.. Playing a long
WAVE-file, it sounds bad in the start, but after a few seconds, it plays
perfect. In the start it sounds like there is something left from the
previous sound I have played.. Strange, IMHO.

> > What could cause this error? Is there any "fix" to make it work better?

> try the port of splay... it's in the audio subdirectory...  hope this
> works better for you... ttyl...
Hmm.. it´s not included in the standard ports collection that came with
the 2.2.1-RELEASE distribution. I guess I'll have to fetch it from some
FreeBSD ftp-site...(?)

Thanks,
	Jakob Alvermark

 Teligent AB, P.O. Box 213, S-149 23 Nynäshamn, Sweden
Telephone +46-(0)8 520 660 00 * Fax +46-(0)8 520 193 36
 Direct +46-(0)8 520 660 32 * GSM +46-(0)70 792 16 57