Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:55:30 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Edward_Tomasz_Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No human readable message with g_vfs

On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:33 AM, Edward Tomasz Napiera=C5=82a <trasz@FreeBSD.org>=
 wrote:

> Wiadomo=C5=9B=C4=87 napisana przez Kostik Belousov w dniu 2011-01-03, o go=
dz. 15:18:
>>>=20
>>> nah, strerror(errno) isn't that much of an effort
>> In kernel ? There is no strerror, and there is no great need to import th=
>> sys_errlist.
>=20
> I had code that adds strerror() to the kernel in one of my old p4 branches=
.
> Error messages like the one above look much better this way, but I didn't
> have time to push it into the tree, and there is a risk of yet another i18=
> discussion.  If someone is interested - let me know; I'll try to find it.

Some thoughts:
- It's a pain to parse (before I just had to scan for an int -- now it's a s=
tring?!?)
- It slows down printing (slow kernel -> dog slow system).
- Fills up logs quicker if a subsystem or piece of hardware is going south a=
nd these messages slam syslog, which means I have to scan more logs looking f=
or useful data, the likelihood of messages being lost in various buffers is h=
igher, etc.

Why not just provide a more standard sensical printout for the messages and p=
rovide a secret decoder ring in userland or something for interested parties=
 the don't know that error is an errno value (eg my mom and dad because they=
're unix illiterate), or just copyout all of the error data via an ioctl, pr=
int out the ioctl failures, and skip the kernel level printing altogether?

Thanks!
-Garrett=