Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:21:53 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Most wanted

On Friday 05 March 2004 21:56, Johnson David wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2004 02:26 pm, Daniela wrote:
> > IMHO more speed can never harm.
>
> This is where knowledge and experience disagree with each other. It is
> the age old conflict between "theory" and "practice".
>
> > I see that a lot of people nowadays are fiddling around with video
> > and graphics processing, DVD ripping and the like.
>
> And I'm personally fiddling around with realtime medical diagnostic
> imaging. Vastly more important than DVD ripping! Experience has told us
> that there are more important things than speed. One is maintainability
> of the code. High level languages are easier to maintain than
> assembler. Another is time to market. Code that takes a week to write
> in C/C++ might take a month or two in assembler. Finally there is
> portability! That's because your code will live on longer than you
> expect it to. If its assembler code, I guarantee you that it will live
> on longer than the chip its written for...

Some programming languages are better for fast code, and others are better for
easily maintainable code.
For some projects speed is most important, and for others the time to market
and maintainability is the biggest issue.
Some programs are internal, only maintained by one person and run on only one
computer (or network), while others are maintained by a big staff and are
released to the public.
Some people can best write very fast code, and others write highly
maintainable code.