Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:16:50 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        "F. D. Williams" <fwilliams2@cfl.rr.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: login ID and Password Problems

On Monday 29 December 2003 12:10 am, F. D. Williams wrote:
> Hello:
> For  six and nights almost non-stop, I've loaded and unloaded (formatted
> the HDD) due to some bug (s) of sorts in this program.  Even through the
> Christmas holidays I've been busy with FreeBSD v5.1 and at the current
> moment this problem still persists. This login/password business really
> sucks.  More than 80 hours at this installation has produced nothing but a
> headache. The current prompt reading  at the console shows the
> characteristics: Dec 28 23:51:41 K7502000PRO.cfl.rr.com login:  5 LOGIN
> FAILURES ON ttyv0

It would certainly help if you mentioned all the hardware your involved with.
A copy of the output from dmesg (then again, if you can't login, I guess you
can't do that either).

Anyways - when you are promted for the root password on install, please make
certain that your caps key isnt on etc. Unix IS case sensitive. And we'll
also assume you are logging in as root.

--
Best regards,

Chris