Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:06:32 -0700
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   4.7 RC problem

First time posting here, and I didn't see the topic before, so here it
goes...

I agree to help my brother set up a new bsd box six hours away, doing
everything remotely once there is network access to the box.  After some
hardware issues were resolved, I did a cvsup to get everything up to
date and ready for a kernel compile.  The o/s will eventually be used as
a router, but for now it has just one nic.

cvsup goes fine, and I start the buildworld.  No errors through the
whole process, so I reboot to switch to the new kernel.  The machine is
now dead to me, it won't respond to pings/ssh/begging.  On site, the box
is running, and my brother can log in fine (directly, not via ssh).
When I ask him to ping around or even ping localhost, it comes up with
"ping: sendto: permission denied".  He also can't even ssh out.  This
looks like a permissions/firewall issue, but he is logging in as root,
and there is no firewall active.  The kernel does have settings for
routing, but nothing is activated in rc.conf.  Has anyone heard of this
sort of error?  At this point, we can't even hope for a fix later and
just cvsup it when it comes out, the only other option is to toast the
machine completely and go with an earlier revision and not cvsup.

-Derrick