Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:21:53 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

As Simon Shapiro wrote:

> 1.  Does anyone care?  Coming from (too much) Linux, and seeing 2.1.6,
>     2.2-BETa, 3.0... it is not a stupid question.

2.1.6 is the latest release.
2.2 is the next release, currently in post-BETA.
3.0 is the head of the development (``3.0-current'')

>          # mkdir /NewStuff
>          # mount -t nfs -o ro nomis;/usr/src/FreeBSD /NewStuff
>          # ls -al /NewStuff
>          ls: /NewStuff: Permission denied
>          ls -al /
>          drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel      512 Jan  3 00:08 Linux-Transfers
>          drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel      512 Jan 23 18:01 NewRoot
>          drwxrwxrwt  13 root  sys        512 Jan  8 12:02 SourceControl
>
>          [ /NewStuff is not there? ]  It is, but... ?

That's funny.  Never seen this, but i never had an occasion to test
against a Linux NFS server.

>     # xmcd -debug
>     Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
>     Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6

ENXIO.  You `cd' driver seems confused.

You could hook a few printf's into /sys/scsi/cd.c (inside cd_open())
to see which of the ENXIO's hits.  Either the drive claims there's no
medium inside, or it fails a READ CAPACITY command.

What drive is it?

>     # ls -al /dev/rcd0c
>     crw-r-----   1 root     operator  15,   2 Jan 24 16:01 /dev/rcd0c

Of course, all this doesn't matter.  ENXIO must not be confused with
any part on the device node itself.  It's a plain driver message.

> 4.  Shutdown questions:
>
>     a.  When init goes to single user, prompts, asking for a shell.
>         You press ENTER and it sits on ``(.???msg - Cannot exactly
>         remember) not found''
>         ^C will get you a prompt, most of the time.  Sometimes you get
>         a fast roll talking about some malloc() failure.  Sometimes a
>         ^C will stop it, sometimes it will not.

David Greenman has been the only one by now who also reported such a
behaviour.

>     b.  umount -a will leave things not in /etc/fstab mounted.

Well, that's what the `-a' means: umount everything in fstab.

     The options are as follows:

     -a      All of the file systems described in fstab(5) are unmounted.

> 5.  More CD fun.  Once a music CD is played, you cannot mount a data
>     cd because ``device is busy''.  Reboot cures.

That's probably related to the error above.

Btw., try `cdcontrol' to play your audio CD, and see if it does make a
difference.  xmcd is a little too funny to trust it as a generic
debugging tool.  They have a tendency to hack on the SCSI bus, so i
wouldn't be surprised if this leaves the driver confused if something
behaves different on your drive.

> 8.  Education Question:  What is the logic in assigning slice ID's?
>                          I understand c to be the entire disk
>                          (why `c'? Why not?)
>                          Why does sysinstall assign 'e', 'f',
>                          but (almost) never 'd'?

That's explained in section 2.15 of the FAQ (near the bottom).

The short answer: for hysterical raisons.

> 9.  Some safety checks in disklabel and newfs and/or kernel slice-
>     partition handling could be nice.  If you create an 'a' partition
>     which is exactly an overlap of a 'c' in a slice that dominates
>     the disk, newfs will FREEZE the system.

This seems to happen only on your system, for whatever reason.  I know
of several people who are running a partition that is full-size the
slice (or entire disk).

> 10. Kernel Question:  On an i386 PC, how does one make sure that
>     another driver does not use the same ISA ports as you do?

If it's assigned using the config stuff, the ISA bus driver code will
assure this.  Some drivers (like syscons) don't fit right; they
use too many ports to describe in config's syntax.

The number of ports used by this driver is returned from the driver
attach routine.

> 11. Another Kernel question:  A device driver for a controller that
>     is available in ISA, EISA and PCI. How do you split the code?
>     We put the PCI part in pci, the ISA/EISA parts in i386/{isa,eisa}?
>     But the code is NOT i386 dependant.  We are putting it in dev/dpt.
>     Is that a good choice?

Probably the best you could do by now.

--
cheers, J"org