Date:      Wed, 5 Oct 2011 16:08:51 -0700
From:      William Yardley <freebsd-questions@veggiechinese.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror resync seems stalled

I had a drive which had some timeout problems, and got kicked out of a
gmirror based RAID1 on my FreeBSD machine (now 8.2-RELEASE-p3).
Normally, if the devices get out of sync, they rebuild relatively
quickly, and I can watch the progress.

This time, after running gmirror forget and inserting the device, it
just seems to sit at '0%', despite the fact that it's supposedly
synchronizing. I've tried removing and re-adding it a couple times, but
the behavior is the same. Am I just being too impatient?
Autosynchronization of stale components should have already been enabled
(and the gmirror list output says 'synchronizing'), but I tried a
"gmirror configure -a gm0" just in case.

Also, any opinions on how safe the '-F' option ("Do not synchronize
after a power failure or system crash") is?

Following:
 # gmirror remove gm0 ad6
 # gmirror forget gm0 ad6
 # gmirror insert gm0 ad6

I see:

 # gmirror list
 Geom name: gm0
 State: DEGRADED
 Components: 2
 Balance: round-robin
 Slice: 4096
 Flags: NONE
 GenID: 4
 SyncID: 1
 ID: 506994055
 Providers:
 1. Name: mirror/gm0
    Mediasize: 1000204885504 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r6w5e14
 Consumers:
 1. Name: ad10
    Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    State: ACTIVE
    Flags: DIRTY
    GenID: 4
    SyncID: 1
    ID: 3348119132
 2. Name: ad6
    Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    State: SYNCHRONIZING
    Flags: DIRTY, SYNCHRONIZING
    GenID: 4
    SyncID: 1
    Synchronized: 0%
    ID: 3439333064

and the status seems to just stay at 0%

relevant atacontrol output:

 ATA channel 3:
     Master:  ad6 <WDC WD10EVDS-63U8B0/01.00A01> SATA revision 2.x
     Slave:       no device present
 ATA channel 5:
     Master: ad10 <WDC WD10EVDS-63U8B0/01.00A01> SATA revision 2.x
     Slave:       no device present