Date:      21 May 2005 10:55:18 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: root filesystem occationally not found

"dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com> writes:

>     I've got a 5.2 box that on the very rare times i have to reboot it
> occationally, not always but enough to be a concern, it can not find it's
> root filesystem, and i'm dropped at a loader prompt. At the loader prompt i
> issue "reboot" the box does so again and this time it boots completely. I am
> at a loss to explain this and wonder if anyone has seen anything similar?

That exact set of symptoms doesn't sound familiar, but I would suspect
that there might be other messages about the disk just before that.
If this is an ATA disk, I would suggest updating the system, as
improvements in the ATA code might solve the problem and will
certainly make diagnosing it simpler.