Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 11:01:04 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: static IP via DHCP and multiple NICs

Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, said on Sat Mar 22, 2003 [11:50:29 AM]:
} When it comes to laptops, my house has two.  Between them, they have
} four NICs; two wireless, and two wired.
}
} I know how to configure DHCP so that a given IP address and hostname
} is assigned based upon the mac address.  Here's the example:
}
}        host joe {
}           hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:4c:29:32;
}           fixed-address joe.fugue.com;
}        }
}
} What I'd like to do is allow the above box to use any of four NICs,
} yet always get the same fixed address.
}
} Perhaps I should just assign one wireless NIC and one wired NIC to
} each box and assume they are always with that box.

No need; this can be done fairly easily.  Configure each of your laptops
to send an identifier in the DHCP request.  If you're using dhclient, you
can place in /etc/dhclient.conf:

send dhcp-client-identifier "laptop1";

Then on the DHCP server, you can use a declaration like:

group {
  use-host-decl-names on;

  host laptop1.yourdomain.net {
    option dhcp-client-identifier "laptop1";
    option host-name "laptop1";
    fixed-address laptop1.yourdomain.net;
  }
}

You may want to use a little more imagination in choosing the names, but
that's the general idea.

--

   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com