Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:52:39 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IdentD... the horror continutes....

	I STILL can't get my identd to work on the 2.2.6 FreeBSD -Stable box.  It
works fine when I use 3.0-current with the other box.... I am guessing that
final thing that it must be is a direct conflict with some software
application being run.

I run
cron, apache, bind, ncftpd, ftpd, telnetd, sshd, smbd, natd, and mysql.

In inetd.conf...
EVERYTHING is commented out except for identd, telnetd, ftpd.

I tried make clean, make, make install, for identd ~4 times, and I tried it
with both tcpwrapper on and off... (however, I never tried it with
tcpwrapper totally eliminated before).

I ran a make world 2 days ago... I could try again... just seems a bit odd
that identd is having trouble.

Could it be a DNS issue?  Like having a different DNS name or something may
cause a problem with inetd?  Oh yeah... netstat -tan shows that port 113 is
listening...

-Carroll Kong