Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:14:05 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Matt White <mjw@crypt-net.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maxtor 80GB problems

Matt White wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I recently installed a Maxtor 80GB on a freebsd 4.2-stable box to serve as
> a sort of dumping ground for random files.  This drive is not very happy.
>
> During newfs, the kernel complains repeatedly of write timeouts.
> Occaisionally, the kernel loses contact with the disk entirely (in those
> instances I am forced to give up and restart the system).  During a fsck
> operation, I get repeated HARD READ errors, along with a prompt as to
> whether I want to continue.  Of course, it does me no good to continue
> because fsck still sees the drive as dirty and thus won't mark it clean.
>
> I've tried this drive on two different 4.2-stable boxes with different
> controllers and cabling.  Occaisionally the drive makes unhappy noises.
> Under windows the drive appears to be fine, but I haven't really stressed
> this beyond the initial format and some time spent in scandisk.  Windows is
> not amazingly forthcoming about errors.
>
> I know this isn't the best problem description, but I'm hoping that it will
> trigger someone's memory such that they may remember a similar problem.  If
> I don't get a response, I'll file a formal PR with as much information as I
> can gather later.

What kind of motherboard(s) are you using? Does it have UDMA-100 on it
using the Via chipset. I have a KT7 that FreeBSD 4.2-Stable doesn't
like combination of Via and Maxtor's. The various incantations of
Windows didn't have any problems with the drive (s), i.e., no messages
in the event-viewer files. Using a Promise card for the hook up works
just fine with FreeBSD 4.2-stable and Windows. You can also set Maxtor
drives to run any mode you want. They come out of the box UDMA-5,
which is UDMA-100, but Maxtor's udmaupt utility will program the drive
to any mode you want. It is one of their utility programs that is
listed for the purpose of upgrading some ATA-66 drives to run ATA-100
mode.

Maxtor has a utility call MaxDiag or something close that you can use
to check it. It doesn't even have to be added into your bios to do
this. There are some systems out there that totally freak out when you
use Dangerously Dedicated and the only way to recover your system was
to low-level format the drive while it isn't mounted. I think MaxBlast
may cover that now by writing an MBR the system can deal with. I got
burned using DD and haven't tried it since.

Kent

> Please cc an responses to this email address.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Matt

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA