Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:57:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DHCP, arp and de0

On 16-Jun-99 John Baldwin wrote:
>  Whoops.. just ifconfig de0.  Have you tried using the interface?  We use
>  for a lab I help run, and 'arp -a' on the clients does not show an entry for
>  the local de0 card they have installed, but they work fine regardless.  Do
>  have a route for 127.0.0.1 in your route table (netstat -rn), there should
>  one that just points to itself so, AFAIK, it shouldn't be arp'ing for that
>  address.

Well I have a netstat -nr from when it was using DHCP and when it wasn't and
the only difference is the 'Refs' for 127.0.0.1 was 3 for DHCP and 2 for static.

The interface works OK for somethings, but for example I can't run 'esd', and
whenever I try and ping the address assigned to the ethernet card I get
Jun 13 17:35:21 guppy /kernel: arplookup 127.0.0.1 failed: could not allocate
llinfo
Jun 13 17:35:21 guppy /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 127.0.0.1rt

every ping packet sent.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum