Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:43:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        shovey@buffnet.net (steve hovey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange routed problems

In a previous message, steve hovey said:

> I gota problem.
>
> In order to get my cisco to route between subnets (I have 3 active on one
> ring), I had to set RIP between them on the router.

If you only have one cisco routing between 3 subnets (and the internet?),
I don't really think you need to run a routing protocol. Pretty much 4
static routes should take care of you.

> This gen's errors on my new machine on my third ring.  It says over any
> over about packet from unknown router 205.246.19.1  or it will say
> unknown router 205.247.124.1 (19.1 is the cisco's ethernet interface,
> then I give an ip alias - one for each other subnet).

> So, if I put these routers in /etc/gateways, the errors stop, only my
> fefault gateway of 205.247.125.1 keeps getting replaceed with
> 205.246.19.1 which doesnt work and isnt correct- manually setting a
> static route doesnt help.  It still gets wiped.

> Any ideas?

This kind of sounds like incorrect hop counts.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

[License Disclaimer: this article is in the public domain. you may copy]
[it and distribute it as long as you don't tell anybody I wrote it.... ]