Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:01:37 -0400
From:      "Martes G Wigglesworth" <martes@mgwigglesworth.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-isp] Temporary Routing/Switching backup with Backplane and multiple switch cards...

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 17:47:39 Howard Jones wrote:
> Martes G Wigglesworth wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to compliment their routing
> > devices or switching devices with a back-plane and multiple switch cards
> > or E1/T1 cards with any success? Meaning that it was worth the trouble to
> > build.
> >
> > This seems a bit useless initially, however, I am doing some research
> > into this for quick-fix disaster recovery systems in case the 3800s are
> > down, etc...   A bit home-grown, but would like to know if the design
> > idea would be viable and not just a costly home-grown project...  Maybe
> > for a small point of present in a wireless environment which has multiple
> > E1/T1 drops to terminate for back-haul transfer central management
> > stations, etc...
>
> You mean like these?
>    http://www.vyatta.com/
>    http://www.xorp.org/
>    http://www.freesco.org/
> All are "software routers" various levels of hardware support for (e.g.)
> Sangoma E1/T1 cards.
>
> Plenty of people use Quagga+Linux or Quagga+FreeBSD (Quagga is the
> BGP/OSPF component most of these uses) for peering/transit. PC hardware
> will route over 100Mbit quite happily.
Thank you for the new links that I had not come across yet.  However, I was
not as clear as I should have been.

I was more interested in finding out when it became, or would become less cost
effective to do this type of setup, due to economies of scale like Cisco and
Juniper devices possibly being cheaper than havnig to spend on individual
pieces to...

More specifically,  when is it not cost effective to do such a thing?
Assuming a larger, and not smaller network architecture. When does the
embedded, specifically designed network processor do a better job than a
stripped down server appliance, as described above?