Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:22:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        frank hagen <teleport23r@hotmail.com>, JoeB <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Subject:   RE: Modem Driver Question!

This simply isn't true anymore!!!
There have been numerous posts on the lists to suport
this.  Please check before you tell people no...
I use a Lucent PCI 'winmodem' quite happily in my
desktop system at home.  Look for the 'ltmdm' driver.
It doesn't support everythign but it's worth a look.

Regards,
PJ

* * * * * * * * * *

BSD does not work with winmodems.
You need a modem with a onboard controller.
Winmodems are cheep because the controller function is
handled by
the software you have to install into windows.

I recommend the Zoom model 3049L external modem works
right out of the box.
Use user ppp to dial your ISP, edit /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
section papchap
adding your ISP’s phone number, account name, and
password.  Start user ppp
by entering  ppp –ddial papchap  on the command line
to start and killall
ppp to stop.