Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 00:22:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Creating a vn filesystem

I'm trying to create a vn filesystem on my -current box, using the following:

[morden|root] 0:13 ~ dd if=/dev/zero of=/d/bigfile bs=1024 count=204800
204800+0 records in
204800+0 records out
209715200 bytes transferred in 59.543914 secs (3522026 bytes/sec)
[morden|root] 0:15 ~ vnconfig -c /dev/vn1 /d/bigfile
  (/dev/vn0 is being used as a swap file, hence /dev/vn1)
[morden|root] 0:17 ~ disklabel -e /dev/vn1
  (dumps me in vi with the following)

# /dev/vn1:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 200
sectors/unit: 409600
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:   409600        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 199)

This seems okay to me - but upon writing and quitting, I get

disklabel: Operation not supported by device
re-edit the label? [y]:

I have looked through the archives and found one or two references to how
to mount vn devices as filesystems (including some old commit messages
from december 1995) - but none of these work for me, giving me the same
error message upon trying to write the disklabel.

Can anyone offer any insight into how to go about this? There's a chance
this is a -current bug, so I'll take this to the current mailing list if
this procedure works on -stable machines (or something else which still
fails on mine).

I'm not subscribed to this list, so please CC: all replies to me directly.

Thanks,

Kris