Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:12:09 -0700
From:      hernan <hernan.silberman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [freebsd-questions] ndis setup

Hey folks.  I'm setting up FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and I'm having a little
trouble getting my wireless NIC recognized.  The card is a Linksys
WMP64G and I'm trying to set things up to run with the FreeBSD
NDISulator as described in the FreeBSD handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html).

Here's what I'm doing (as root):

1) Verifying with 'pciconf -lv' that the PCI card is there.  Also, I
know the card works, it was running fine on Windows.

2) Building ndis itself:
  cd /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis
  make clean
  make && make install

3) Building the if_ndis module:
  cd /usr/src/sys/modules/if_ndis
  cp /path_to_drivers_on_cd/Rt61.INF .
  cp /path_to_drivers_on_cd/rt61.sys .
  ndiscvt -i Rt61.INF -s rt61.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h
  make && make install

  kldload ndis
  I verify at this point using kldstat that both ndis and if_ndis are
in fact loaded.

I see nothing in dmesg or in my console during the kldload.  Also, it
doesn't appear that the driver found the card, there's no signs of
life.  I've tried using ndisgen, and have had the same results (with
much less typing).  In either case, I get nothing in dmesg and no
usable enabled NIC.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, let me know if you see it.

thanks in advance.
Hernan