Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:20:52 -0500
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ethernet de driver problem on 3.5 stable

I have run into an issue with the de driver and Dlink quad cards under
3.5 stable.

Despite the messages from the driver, claiming to be in full duplex,
(see trimmed dmesg output below) it's not.  I removed a working
Intel fxp card from a system and installed the Dlink quad card.
Same cable, same switch port (HP 4000M locked at 100 Full Duplex).

After booting the machine, slogin session felt like duplex was mismatched
(after enough times, one recognizes the symptoms).  The switch was seeing
CRC errors about once a minute and netstat -in showed lots of collisions
(which can not occur in FD Mode) and 1-2 Oerrs per minute.

Locking the HP port to 100 Half-Duplex has reduced the Oerrs to four
in 24 hours, along with about 1500 collisions (which are expected in HD).
slogin sessions no longer feel like the duplex is mismatched.
ifconfig claims the card is still in full duplex mode.

As we did not see this problem with the Intel, I am not suspecting
the cable or the switch port.

Is there a known problem with the Dlinks or is this a possible
issue in the driver?

/\/\ \/\/

FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #6: Wed Nov  8 18:28:20 EST 2000

Probing for devices on PCI bus 2:
de0: <Digital 21143 Fast Ethernet> rev 0x41 int a irq 11 on pci2.4.0
de0: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
de0: address 00:80:c8:c9:8c:60
de1: <Digital 21143 Fast Ethernet> rev 0x41 int a irq 9 on pci2.5.0
de1: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
de1: address 00:80:c8:c9:8c:61
de2: <Digital 21143 Fast Ethernet> rev 0x41 int a irq 5 on pci2.6.0
de2: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
de2: address 00:80:c8:c9:8c:62
de3: <Digital 21143 Fast Ethernet> rev 0x41 int a irq 10 on pci2.7.0
de3: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
de3: address 00:80:c8:c9:8c:63

de1: enabling 100baseTX port
de0: enabling 100baseTX port
de0: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port
de1: enabling 100baseTX port
de1: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port