Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:29:24 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [rfc] removing the NDISulator

The NDISulator is a crutch from a time when there wasn't _any_ real
alternative.

There are plenty of alternatives now. What's lacking is desire and
person-power. But the datasheets are there, or the vendor code has been
released, or there's linux/otherbsd drivers.

Leaving it in there is just delaying the inevitable - drivers need to be
fixed, ported, or reverse engineered.

This is going to upset users in the same way that eliminating any other
transition/sideways compatibility layer upsets users. But as I said, the
path forward is fixing up the lack of stable drivers, not simply supporting
some crutch.

If there are drivers that people absolutely need fixed then they should
stand up and say "hey, I really would like X to work better!" and then
follow it up with some encouraging incentives. Right now the NDISulator
lets people work _around_ this by having something that kind of works for
them but it doesn't improve our general driver / stack ecosystems.

-adrian